We cannot answer this question without first asking who God is. And according to scripture, God is the being who created all things and on whom all things depend (Genesis 1:1; Acts 17:24-28). Jesus is the Son of God who came into the world to redeem it.
Here are some things we learn from the Bible about him:
1. He existed before all things (John 1:1, 14; Colossians 1:17)
2. He was born of the Virgin Mary (Matthew 1:18-25; Isaiah 7:14)
3. He is fully human (He experienced pain John 11:35, Matthew 16:21; he was hungry Matthew 21:18, and was also thirsty, John 19:28).
4. He is also fully God (Mark 4:35-41; John 1:1; Philippians 2:6-7).
5. He is tender and compassionate towards all his creation (Mathew 15:32; Luke 7:13).
6. He died for our sins and was raised from the dead so we can be justified (1 Corinthians 15:3; 2 Corinthians 5:14; Galatians 1:4).
7. Everyone who believes in him is saved and will not be condemned (Mark 16:16; Romans 10:9,10).
8. He is the Head of God’s people, the church (Ephesians 1:22; Colossians 1:18).
9. He ascended into heaven and currently oversees the good of his people (Luke 24: 50-51; Acts 2:33; Acts 5:31).
10. He will return to Judge the earth and finally establish God’s kingdom (Titus 2:13; Hebrews 9:28)
Now we know something about him. But there’s more—We can get to know him. He invites us to come to him, trust in him, and walk with him (Matthew 11:28-30).
And you can start right where you are.